The Other Side of the World: Dear Winter Olympics 2006,

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Dear Winter Olympics 2006,

I am writing this to express my heartfelt anguish at being apart from you. I miss you! I think fondly back to all the moments four years ago that filled my heart with great joy and intense sadness. I remember the tears I shed in good times (oh, that women's hockey final) and bad (oh, that slip at the end of the figure skating pairs). It pains me that no-one in this ridiculously warm side of the world seems to give the time of day to cold weather sporting. I suppose it is difficult to love watching the powder fly under the alpine skiiers if you don't know what it's like to feel it shoved down the back of your jacket in the middle of february. Even still, you think they could devote a hint of a whisper of a newscast to inform me of the progress of my beloved, eh? Sadly, this is not the case. I have resigned myself to an era of darkness and futile longing. Sometimes I hear about you from friends and the familiar thrill is ignited in me once more. Often though, I am like flotsam on a sea of medal-count uncertainty. Anyway, I hope you are well and thriving, even without my obsessive rapt attention. It is certainly my deepest desire that we will be reunited one day - after all four years is not so long to wait when there is so much to experience together. Take good care of your dazzling, spectacular, brilliant self - and I promise to think of you every single time I get heat stroke. With much affection, M

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And just when I was about to log in and leave nasty messages urging more postings to get me through my next three midterms, you have intercepted my request :)

And for all your patriotic needs, http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/ :P 2 medals as of this posting! yay!!!

7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.coolcanuckaward.ca/joe_canadian.htm

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home