The Other Side of the World: Feast

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Feast

There is something to be said for only making rare appearances at your grandparent's house. Especially when it incites the procuring of the Large Pot. Into which Large amounts of Gnocchi are placed (and please everyone, it's gnock-ee). Now, I know my brother is dying of jealousy by now, and that elaborating on the details like; I ate four bowls, there were also cheese balls, the gnocchi were of perfect texture and balance between flour & potato . . . . will probably make his insides churn. But, given the circumstances, I think you can forgive me for lovingly reflecting. Eggplant stuffed with parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, eggs and raisins and then fried. The Venerable Patriarch presides. Note the bottle of potent homeade wine (the grapes are growing about 10 feet away from where this was taken) which he repeatedly tried to ply me with by insisting it was "coca cola". The After Effects: My cousins and I, well beyond sated and into comatose And for the record, it was 40 degrees C in Australia last week. It was 28 degrees C in New Zealand before I left. And now it is about 20 degrees C and raining here. A conspiracy just like the last time! But I will wait it out! It can't be cold for 15 days! (apologies to anyone in Canada for saying 20 degrees in cold).

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If/when I do make the trip to the otherside of the world to see Lamsonites, I think I may have to fast for months beforehand :) Looks lovely,
- K's S.

6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everything look's great, but I'd give my right hand for some pancakes and even better conversation - I'll bring the banana.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Geoff the Medio said...

I really don't understand... potato in flour batter? What's the point of breading starch?

9:55 PM  
Blogger M said...

pasta dough made with mashed potato and flour - then rolled into tiny dumplings

10:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Surrogate Niece Sarah.

Lovely to hear your "voice"-we are relishing having one of the Lamsons here amongst us.

There would have been enough gnocchi for all of you and we look forward to that possibility real soon. We're exploring the possibility of hearing Paul Kelly live this weekend as well as having fish'n chips at willy beach as well as seeing a Leunig exhibitition. We are really trying to torture Kien now. Tell him the boys would love to wrap their loving arms around him.

Let's all meet in NZ before too long

Cheers!!!!!!!!!
Love from Melbourne
Bruno

10:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

are you hosting a telethon we don't know about?

any federico fellini sur le plateau de <8 1/2 >?

11:13 PM  
Blogger emma said...

The beached whale pic at the end was just perfect. :lol

4:46 AM  
Blogger Kt said...

Mmm, sounds and looks fabulous M! Glad you're having such a good time (despite the beached whale pic at the end, lol.)

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

god I miss you, sherpa!xo amy

5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your apology for the weather remark is not quite accepted yet...and saying in your next post that you have been to see Paul Kelly will not help things. On the other hand, there was no fine waiting for me at ClassicVideo, so perhaps we're even.

6:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

there is something to be said about you being on a vacation, well fed and rested, with ample transportation-ability, and internet access, and yet unable to provide timely updates and photos for people mired in rainy slush and bad midterm results.
:P

if you want to eat the gnocci, you have to let people live vicariously through you.

have fun!

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home