The Other Side of the World: Bonus points if you read the last post (this one isn't like that)

Monday, March 20, 2006

Bonus points if you read the last post (this one isn't like that)

I know it was long and somewhat . . . political. Not to mention about social issues in a country wherein you do not reside (at least not as far as I know). Anyway, I just wanted to have it here as a marker or reference point. Midwifery is why I'm here, and what I am here to do. It's a big, scary, important, overwhelming & wonderful thing to take in, and I suppose being attacked is simply par for the course. At least these days they aren't messing around with those stakes and buckets of tar and flints. . . if you know what I mean . . . Anyway, in direct contrast, I had a mundane and lovely day today. The weather is holding up nicely in the high 20's and sitting by the big lead-paneled windows of the city library overlooking the square was delightful. Even more so because I met my friend Karen from school there and got soooo much reading done because I was trying to look impressively studious in order that she think highly of me. Indeed, I only squirmed enough to almost knock the whole table over once! Then I went home made ridiculously delicious chili and cornbread for the whole house, and lo and behold the weather co-operated and became dark and rainy so we could all snuggle up to the Commonwealth games and comfort food. There was a swimmer from Papua New Guinea who won the 100m butterfly and looked so nervous and choked up as they played the anthem (a first for the country it would seem) - moments of pure, unadultered and shameless sporting-event-throat-lumping. It almost compensates for the botched Olympic coverage (but not quite). And now, since my readings are all done I am going to reward myself with. . . . reading . . . . a novel . . . . . . . . . but yes, more reading. Ask my mother, it has been a life-long addiction. Oh yes, and I arrived home to a postcard featuring a little brown squirrel at my bedroom door (thanks Sarah!). Ah the little buggers, who would have thought I'd miss them?! Tomorrow at lunch there is the Midwifery students meeting up at Massey (apparently I have to bring food to share, gah! preparing food before noon?!) and I promised myself I would conquer my fear of the journal racks in the library and get some research done for my paper, and then I am going out to a Proper Restaurant for my housemate's birthday. The likes of which I have not done in New Zealand yet! (working at one doesn't count). And we have even made a pact to further celebrate her 25th year alive by getting dressed up!. . . .now watch it be freezing cold. . . . Oh, and the restaurant is called Lone Star. Hahahaha But anyway, the book, and then a movie-in-bed, and it can only get better after that. . . .

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"now watch it be freezing cold" Ahem, I challenge your statement, and request that you use the word "freezing" temperaturatically correctly from now on, especially when communicating with people who are actually dealing with weather that might be "freezing" cold.
and now, to be less argumentative, I'm very cheered to hear you got to watch some emotional sporting events on television. A nervous Papua New Guinea winner sounds pretty satisfying.

2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey mianh,
apparently a doctor on House is going to be wearing a McGill shirt in an upcoming episode, you should check it out as they air.
I think sometimes you can watch them on www.youtube.com or download them from somewhere.
Ciao
xo

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The more i hear about this place the more i want to come and visit ;)

1:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home