The Other Side of the World: Geraldine

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Geraldine

I have a great love of beds, especially being curled up in them, free from the pressure of having to fall asleep. The true mark of comfort in a new home is whether my bed invites me to strip off all my clothes, dive in, and stay for a day. I must say, this one is coming along nicely (especially since the duvet cover stopped being as literally as it is figuratively crunchy). There is one thing missing though - a gross oversight of my packing job 4 months ago. Actually, the entire packing job was executed without any sort of vision at all, which is why I find myself presently with hardcover editions of Shakespeare and children's fiction and not enough underwear. But, in about 8 hours, at least one of these disasters will be rectified, as I am promised my dearly ragged little teddy bear is "safely tucked away" in my brother's carry-on bag. This is Geraldine; one-eyed, very flat and very wise (she is even puported to speak to my mother, - either evidence of her real-ness, or a familial legacy of auditory hallucinations). And I am entirely pleased about this whole business, because at the end of the day, under the covers, are you ever too old for comfort?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"real isn't how you are made," said the skin horse. "it's a thing that happens to you. when a child loves you for a very long time, not just to play with, but really loves you, then you become real."
"does it hurt?" asked the rabbit.
"sometimes," said the skin horse, for he was always truthful, "when you are real you don't mind being hurt."

xo a

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home