The Other Side of the World: breasts, needles, becoming

Saturday, March 10, 2007

breasts, needles, becoming

. . . and that sums up my week a day's seminar up in Wellington (ah, road trips with 5 very confident, very opinionated, very funny women) on acupuncture, homeopathy and osteopathy. I love the paradigms these alternative healing modalities take. The way they view the body as an amalgam of energies. The way they respect the work that is done in pregnancy, labour, breast-feeding - without making us feel weak or injured. I'm itching to know everything it seems. . . I want to not only be alternative (lip service?) but to also offer something real, tangible, supportive, empowering. Healing midwifery style. Offering a woman a way to heal herself, through herself. and then the breast-feeding All day seminar today with the head of our program (who I wish I could kidnap and permanently install in my brain with her soothing South African accent). I must ask this question - why do so many breast-feeding (etc) videos depict mothering (and how we get there) in such an inane, dull, drab, passive and frankly ugly way? It hardly seems a celebration of. . . life itself and certainly I know, have seen, and whole-heartedly believe that you can become (and be) a mother with strength, creativity, character and probably a helpful dose of joyous insanity
heck, even if it's a maelstrom
at least it's your maelstrom
And I for one say. . . we women, should own it.
oh, and breastfeeding is fantastic!
and so is bed time!

6 Comments:

Blogger k.thedoula said...

My first exposure (other than the crappy 70's video in CB class) to breastfeeding was a video entitled "common breastfeeding problems for the cesarean mother"... or some other insanely cruel wording.
I'm fairly certain it was at that point that I subconsciously decided that breastfeeding would work, and work well!
It did!
I don't even tell people that my third is still nursing at almost 17 months... most people just don't get it.
I'm with you, it needs something more!
k

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have gone through your web site. I have got sufficient information from your site, that was great and also seen another website related to the same category and got more information from that site too.

alternative healing

7:11 AM  
Blogger kipperkid said...

You just have to be at Massey in Palmy...say hi to Cheryl for me!
mm, my partner was nursing her dd at age 4 when I first met her, it took her several months to tell me that she was still nursing (I was her student back then so I guess she was sussing me out)
One of the joys of our practice is that we seem to attract women who breastfeed until child self weans, and who tandem feed...nothing better than to attend a homebirth and then watch as the older siblings latch on the other side to the new one...what a gentle way of getting to know each other.

3:52 AM  
Blogger M said...

and who am I saying hi from?

10:00 PM  
Blogger juliepersons said...

why yes, breastfeeding IS fantastic, isn't it? :-)
RYC: of course you may link to me and thanks so VERY much!

P.S. Have you seen my breastfeeding dolls?
they are here:
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=44218

10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. that previous comment was me, Julie!

http://www.xanga.com/juliepersons
:-)

10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home